Welcome to the #1 Range Rover Forum and Range Rover community dedicated to Range Rover owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Range Rover Forum today!

Range Rover SVAutobiography

It's hard to think why anybody would want a more special version of the Range Rover Autobiography, impressive - and expensive at ?92,450 - as it already is.

Until you clap eyes on it. The ?148,900 SVAutobiography (SV refers to Land Rover and Jaguar's Special Vehicle Operations) is the last word in on- and off-road automotive refinement and power.

Under the bonnet of the test car

was a potent supercharged five-litre V8 petrol engine producing 550bhp

and 680Nm of torque at 3,500rpm -enough to hurl the 2,465kg behemoth from 0-60mph in

5.1 seconds and onto 155mph. Buyers can also choose lower-emitting three-litre V6 or four-litre V8 diesels.

It looked the part in imposing Loire Blue with dark grey 22-inch seven-spoke alloy wheels, while inside it felt palatial, not just light and airy but beautifully appointed with an ?Executive Class Seat?, comprising dual rear seats and a substantial centre console with fold-out tray tables and a refrigerated cabinet.

The equipment list is utterly comprehensive, boasting everything you ever dreamed of and more besides including impeccable wood veneer, luxuriously thick carpets and a sound system that would light up the Albert Hall.

Driving the beast is - if you're not picking up the fuel bill - sheer pleasure. Belying its weight, it feels nippy in town, even if you do notice the sheer bulk in fast bends. Its turn of speed is more than you will ever need and the ride is, generally, serene, even if it's not the quietest of cabins, partly thanks to the howl from that superb motor under acceleration. It's the kind of car that once you start driving you don't want to stop, so I didn't. I started in Dundee and headed west via Stirling Castle then into Glasgow, before enjoying winding roads to Ardrossan harbour where I caught a ferry to the bewitching Isle of Arran.

I couldn't have wanted for a better travel companion as I toured the island, the lofty seating position giving splendid views over the hedges and out to sea. As I parked to absorb the views even the local wildlife seemed impressed; a wild stag wandered up and gave the SVAutobiography his own, hearty roar of approval.

Range Rover SVAutobiography

Top speed: 155mph; 0-60mph: 5.1 secs;
  • CO2: 299g/km;
  • Combined mpg: 22.1;
  • Price: ?148,900