Welcome to the #1 Range Rover Forum and Range Rover community dedicated to Range Rover owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Range Rover Forum today!

It's good to be back... and a tale of two air springs

flamecycle

I'm happy to be back in the forums... I had a 1996 P38 rover that I put 200,000 miles on before I sold it a few years back. Went with a Mercedes sedan for a little bit. Nice car, but there just isn't the same sense of community that you guys all know about if you're reading this ;). But now back with a 2007 L322! Did not realize how much I missed my rover until my son rolled up in this new (to us) Java Black, with factory brush bars, one previous owner, 14 year old trade in that looks like new inside.

For those of you who are newer to these supple beasts with air suspension, just remember the rule of thumb that you will replace your airbags every 10 years or so. We went into this vehicle knowing full well that airbags were on the short list of needs. Ours are 14 years old, and they proved the rule to be absolutely true.

We had this for three days before we went on a road trip with 5 people from Denver-ish Colorado to Moab/Arches/Provo Utah. After a day of creeping around Arches National Park at speeds below 20MPH and temps above 90 degrees, we pulled into the visitor center for one last break before hitting the highway to Provo. And that's when it happened. The truck did "the dance" as the right front spring let go it's final gasp, and the EAS then tried to equalize the four corners all the way down to the bump stops. After a bone-jarring 200 miles into Salt Lake City (at speeds that might have been above the requisite 30mph suggested by the EAS) we landed at our AIR BNB. Land Rover Lehi had parts (two front air springs), but no service openings for two weeks. So we bought the tools and did it ourselves in the Air BNB garage. 8 out of 5 stars for the Air BNB.

Thankfully LR had the parts. Thankfully the AIR BNB had a garage. End result was we were back on our air pillows for a phenomenal drive home two weeks sooner than LR could fix us on the road. Two air springs down, two to go. Would have preferred to not rip that band aid off in the first week, but it could have been worse. We had an amazing trip. Arches is highly recommended if you're in the neighborhood. Just make sure your air springs aren't 14 years old.

Cheers!!!!

Jay

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
F

flamecycle

Thread Starter #2
Sorry, I know the thumbnail is upside down. But when I click on the picture it's right side up...